6.18.2012

Farewell Juneau

Today we left Juneau. Im writing to you at the Seattle airport. I don't want to leave. My throat hurts and my luggage wheels are squeaky, everything says just to sit down and stay for a while.

Why don't I want to leave? It's not because Juneau is a wonderful little city... More like a wonderful little tourist trap. Boats come in, people buy stuff, and then they leave. In and out, day after day, May through September.
I've been on a boat for the past 7 days and it was fantastic. Yes, I know, it's supposed to be fantastic because I'm a guest - but it was so much more than that. It was a group of 66 passengers who just wanted to have a good time. There were 30 amazing crew members from all over the world with different stories. Most of them seeming to fall into the "boat world". The first mate has a degree in French and Finance, expedition leader has taught kayaking all over the world, the massage therapist has lived in Egypt, Montana, Hawaii, Switzerland, and wherever else the wind blew her. They all knew so much and seemed just as excited as we were. This was their maiden voyage into the inside passage of southeast Alaska.

I also loved this trip because I was so unplugged and free. My cell phone stayed off the whole time and I didn't have Internet once. We spend all of our lives updating everyone on where we are and what we're doing, be it by Facebook status or emailing your boss. People couldn't get in touch with me I'd they wanted.

"Boat World" is currently my fantasy land. They do so much behind the scenes, working 12 hours on 12 off. They work weeks without a day off and by the end of the season i am sure they are exhausted. But getting paid to take people out to see some of the most beautiful things in the world could be awesome.

But until that day comes, I must get on my plane and head home. I will check emails tomorrow and go back to my office job. But you betcha that I'll have some Alaska pictures all over my office.

Ps. Once I get home, I'll post some pictures!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see pictures! I am so jealous that you got to see Alaska from a boat!

    ReplyDelete